Thursday, November 18, 2010

Birthday Preparations

So after months of anticipation I had finally arrived at Cooper's birthday preparation time.


I had been so excited to throw Cooper a great little one year old bash to celebrate how much we love our Cooper kid. I decided to make a fondant cake so Cooper could celebrate Charm City Cakes style. Before you get excited let me just cut to the chase and admit that the fondant was way too soft and entirely unworkable BUT the whole process did lead to some priceless moments, which is the real story here.





The first thing I did was head to the fancy cooking store in town. Everything here is quite expensive, really fun to look at, and I am always afraid that i'm going to break something worth $1,000,000,000. This challenge/thrill draws me in every time, plus, because I am such a thrill seeker, I bring a baby to make it even more daring. I also like to get my food coloring gels there. So, I went to pick out some new colors to do Cooper's cake.


I chose purple and teal. Cooper wanted to hold our soon to be purchases of course so I let him have one while I continued to look around. Well, I knew it was sealed still so I didn't even think twice about it coming open. I looked down to see Cooper drooling the most lovely shade of teal - the perfect shade for his birthday cake.



Now nervous that I am going to permanently dye something teal that is worth $100,000,000 I frantically ask the owner if she had any paper towels or anything.


So after asking for permission to place my precious gem on her lovely counter top I borrow a paper towel, then pull out my camera to capture the moment, throwing all caution to the wind and risking breaking and dyeing multiple expensive items.





So here we are, at Classic Cookware. Drooling in style over the lovely items they have to offer.


Amazingly we got out of the store having only payed for what we intended to, plus the owner was a great sport. (who also seemed a little nervous about the situation)





Cooper also had a teal smile for the next two days.





I'll go ahead and place to final product here to keep you from waiting.


Fondant? No


Gumpaste rocket ships? Yes





I figure it could have turned out worse...


the cake and the store visit :)







No comments: